Thursday, December 13, 2007

Standing up for the little things

I had a conversation with my husband last night as we were walking through the mall about standing up for the little things. We had gone there to get a walk in after dinner as it is freezing cold outside.

One thing I am standing up for this year is Christmas. Now most of us know that Christ really wasn't born in December, more likely September, and most of us know that December 25th was originally a pagan holiday for the Romans and that Christians took it over in the name of Christ somewhere around the 3rd or 4th century, but from then on it was a Christian day to remember the day our Savior came to this earth for us. That is how we celebrate it in our family.

In recent years this celebration of the Saviors birth has evolved into something that doesn't even look like a distant relation. It is now a holiday celebration (what holiday I have no idea) and is all about buying and getting instead of remembering the greatest gift ever given. In case you don't know what that gift is it is the gift of eternal salvation. Christ gave up His amazing throne in heaven (we can't even imagine what that is like) to come to earth and live like a man. He was ridiculed, beaten, whipped and put on a cross to die like a common thief. Then, 3 days later, He rose from the grave and in doing all of this He gave us the choice to live eternally with Him instead of the Lake of Fire. Amazing.

And we have turned that gift into the most self-centered time of year possible. It's all about getting the latest gadget and how much am I getting and I didn't get what I wanted. Me, me, me! I guess we weren't happy with the original gift that was given???

Anyway, this year I am getting emails from different retailers wishing me happy holidays and to please come into their store and buy my holiday gifts. Well, instead of doing what they want I just send an email back and let them know that I celebrate the real reason for this time of year, Christmas, and that I will be doing my Christmas shopping at stores that feel the same way I do and that aren't so PC correct that they can't use the word Christmas. I tell them why there is a Christmas to begin with, Christ, and that is what I celebrate.

Most I don't hear back from. Some I do. Most I hear back from are very defensive and basically say they go with the majority. To that I say no, you are going with the very loud minority. Along with most others who don't care one way or the other, which is even more sad. (Jesus talks about this group in Revelation when He speaks of the lukewarm church that He spits out of His mouth).

I did get one back that thanked me because from my email he was convicted to start treating this season for what it really is and to stand stronger in those convictions rather than bend to being PC just to make more money. Yay!

So how about it. How about we all take the time to write a little note. Be nice about it, but state the truth. We can make a difference, one person at a time.

Next time I want to talk about how standing up for the little things lead to standing up for the big ones and how important that is going to be to you one of these days.

Through His Grace I am saved.

Kathe

1 comment:

Anddrai said...

Well said, Kathe. Organisations seem to think that getting rid of Jesus will 'free' up people to enter into the spirit of the season. In reality, it leads them into bondage, for this is the true spirit of what Christmas has become. Let us not forget that Jesus died that we might be free. Are we going to let His sacrifice be for nothing? Certainly not. As for me and my house, we will serve Jehovah (Joshua 24:15).