Friday, December 7, 2007

What does it mean to me to be a Christian?

It used to be when you said you were a Christian that it meant one thing, that you were a follower of Jesus Christ, Savior of the world. Now there are so many people out there who claim to be Christian but when you look at how they live their lives you really have to wonder what definition of being a Christian they are talking about. I keep trying to come up with another name for what I am because I really don't want anyone to confuse me with one of those other types of "Christians". In fact, I really should write it as christian with a small "c" because the reason for being Christian is being a follower of "Christ" and that is not how it seems with some.

The bible says that we will know them by their fruits. What is a fruit. Not an apple or pear or mango. Biblical fruit is quite a bit more meaty. Biblical fruit is an outward appearance of a changed life. Does that mean that Christians don't mess up? No way, we are still human and will make mistakes. I know I make plenty. The thing is, there is a difference between making a mistake and doing things on purpose because you think you have your ticket into heaven anyway so what does it matter?

Biblical fruit is someone who accepts Christ as their Savior and you see real changes in their life such as they give up hanging out in bars every weekend getting smashed. They just don't want to do that anymore. They would rather spend time talking about the bible and Jesus than they would watching a trashy movie with bad language. You get what I'm saying. Things they used to do all of the time, they just don't want to do anymore.

When you see someone who is "christian" and they are still the same old person you've known all along, maybe it's just for show on the outside and no real changes made it to the inside. Now many might say, well Kathe, only God can see a persons heart and know for sure. Yes, that is true, but the bible still says we will know them by their fruit and it talks about not getting good fruit from a bad tree and visa versa. So you know if the tree is spouting garbage, it's a pretty good indication that the entire tree is pretty rotten.

For me, becoming a born again Christian means just that. I was born again. I am no longer the person I used to be. Materialistic, self-centered, angry, etc. That person is gone. Money and things have no interest to me any longer. I have nothing to be angry about anymore. I could care less about self because there is so much more to care about, especially about my God who came to this earth and died for me. And it shows in my life. Again, I am not perfect. But I do my best to be and act like Christ every day of my life. I try to show Him in my actions to others. I can feel the Holy Spirit showing me right vs. wrong in how I should act in situations.

I'm just a person, a mom, a wife, a business owner. Someone who has more sin in their past than most. What I do have forgiveness and a changed life and changed perspective. I now look at everything in the eternal perspective rather than the here and now.

So that's my thoughts for today.

Kathe

No comments: